Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Engine Plan.

We're starting with the engine build and swap.  The FJ I rolled had a Chevy 400 small block engine with an Edelbrock intake manifold, Holley carb, and custom fenderwell headers dropping to dual exhaust.  The new FJ has a Chevy 350 with Edelbrock everything but block hugger headers that are a little rough.  Most hugger headers don't breathe much better than the stock exhaust manifold so the 350 has some upward potential by bolting up my headers to it.  I decided I liked the 400 engine a little better in the truck so we're going with that as the primary engine and boxing up the 350. 







Larry over at L&D thought that replacing all the seals, polishing up the valve covers and intake manifold and repainting the block would make it look like a brand new engine.  I agreed but thought a Comp magnum cam and new lifters, springs, and timing assembly would help too.  I get the feeling this thing is going to be scary fast when it's done...
We'll clean up the welds on the motor mounts in the good Land Cruiser, repaint the engine compartment, and swap the built and polished 400 into it.  Here's the spot this monster power plant is going in:

When the dust settles, this Toyota will be pushing around 400 hp.  That should be just barely adequate to make it to and from the grocery store! 

1 comment:

Grandma said...

HUH?? This is all Greek to me.