Saturday, May 14, 2011

An Apology and a Small List of References, Resources, and Supplies

Well, it's been a while and, as with most automotive projects, this one is panning out to be a bit of a pain in my arse.  I'm sure it will be worth it though.  I've been able to look at close to every piece and part of both trucks to figure out which one will be used and which one goes in stand by.  I've settled on the following:

- '76 4sp transmission, transfercase driveshafts, axles, steering box, shocks, and uhhh, driver's side seat bracket
- '72 frame, body, steering components, leaf springs, and passenger's side seat bracket
- Chevy 400 small block engine
- Comp magnum cam, lifters and springs
- March pulley set (solely for looks, thank you very much)
- Rochester Quadrajet carburetor
- Full roll cage from Metal Tech 4x4
- 4.56 Sierra Gears for front and rear differentials
- Aussie locker for the rear differential
- Corbeau front and rear seats with 5-point harnesses in front, 4-point in the rear
- Wiring harness from EZ Wiring
- Body mount and bushing set from Energy Suspension
- Winch mount bumper from JT Outfitters
- Optima yellow top battery (why the hell not?)
- Warn m8000 winch
- 35x1250xr15 ProComp mud terrain tires
- 15x10 ProComp steel wheels

For those of you who don't care much about car stuff, this list is fairly mundane and boring.  For car folks though, this is a pretty fun lineup of stuff to have on one vehicle.  I will concede, it is all probably more interesting when it is all put together and, of course, that is the final destination of this project and blog.

I have received nearly all the parts listed above with the exception of a couple of items and whatever else I get a bug to pick up (hopefully not too much as my budget is dwindling).  I have fortunately been able to get a bunch of recommendations from the folks at L & D in addition to some good technical data from Land Cruiser buffs around the country and a few of my references.  I've consulted only the most reputable publications for my build.  These include Haynes manuals, Summit and Jegs catalogs, Off-Road Adventures, Hot Rod magazine (the girlie issue), and a couple Archie comics that have proven invaluable. 

- A quick note on the Hot Rod magazine, Laya Bella is pretty darned attractive and has been banned from the house so as to not distort my daughters' conception of the female form thus damaging their self image.  Haha!
 
All apologies to those readers who might be youthful and impressionable.


Anyway, I digress.  While tearing apart the '76, I've found a lot of issues that have popped up with the wrecked Land Cruiser that I didn't anticipate.  Both driveshafts have snapped along with the gears in the rear differential.  In all likelihood, the transfer case has gone south as well but I'm checking to see if it's salvageable.  In the mean time, I've purchased new driveshafts from www.cruiserparts.net as well as a transfer case off ebay.  It might work out where I have a ready spare.  This deluge of parts also means that I've got a ton of stuff that I won't be able to bring with us when we move.  I've been throwing a lot of stuff on craigslist.  If you know anybody that would like an entire driveline from a 1972 Toyota, you might refer them to this blog and perhaps they will owe you a drink or something.

2 comments:

Grandma said...

What does she have to do with old Toyotas? AM I the only one rading this blog?

Grandma said...

or reading it?