Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Time For Blind Faith

Hey All.
It's been a while since the last update to this blog but things have been developing with only a few minor hiccups.  It turns out a bolt in the carrier of the rear differential is somewhat prone to deformation and/or breakage.  The same damage was found in the rear end of both the '72 and the '76.  Weird, hey?  Anyway, I got a used carrier and pin from Man-a-Fre for $75 and I'm having it shipped directly to L & D Transmission to finish the axles with 4.56 gears and the Aussie locker.

When I walked in to Larry's shop after I rolled the '76 Land Cruiser, it was to get a copy of a receipt for the exhaust work they had done so I could give it to the insurance company.  I still had all my stitches in and felt pretty bad mentally and physically.  As you might recall, Larry told me if I wanted to rebuild, I could bring the two trucks to his shop and he'd do all the work for free.  I couldn't believe it and I thought it would be too good to be true.  Larry explained that he appreciated my service in the Navy and that "working on a car" is the least he could do.
Holy crud.
This blog is proof that Larry means what he says.

So this is where I bid my adieu as I deploy today for several months.  I obviously won't be able to update the blog while I'm out and, frankly, I won't have any idea what's going on with my beloved Land Cruiser while I'm gone anyway.  I've dropped off all the stuff I've got, left some useful website info for parts, and given a full vote of confidence to Larry Dempsey and his guys at the shop.  Right now I still have stacks of parts, piles of tires, and an engine on the stand but it really has been remarkable to see the work that's been done and the transformation of the two FJ40's.

As active duty military, it's hard to leave your home and your family to support what can often times seem like an abstract purpose.  The kind of support and generosity that the folks at L & D give has shown me - as well as a lot of members of my crew - has helped me to remember that our efforts support this country's way of life.  This has become a lot more tangible since this project has begun - and for that I am very grateful.

Talk to you all when I get back...

No comments: